Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Vagina Dialogues

"I hated being a woman. The restrictions, the rules, the fears of my mother, it made me angry."
"I hated being a woman. Bleeding every month, feeling pukey and giddy-headed and sticky and smelly."

I hated being a woman. 10 years old and being told, “Boys can do whatever they like. But a girl’s reputation is like glass.” Twelve and my tuition teacher’s voice, “What a horrible laugh, so loud and monstrous! Look at Sonya, how prettily she covers her mouth when she laughs. And she doesn’t make a sound.” Thirteen and being admonished, “Sit with your legs together. Only a slut sits with her legs apart.” Yes, I really and truly hated being a woman.

Bold one ...

2 comments:

Liya said...

powerfull one..and quite disturbing too..

Anonymous said...

Thank you for quoting me. You didn't comment I believe? It's just that a blogger has no idea who is reading unless they leave a mark behind. :-)