Saturday, January 24, 2009

Slumdog Again ...

I wrote about Slumdog hysteria in my earlier post. I had not seen the movie then. Yesterday, I got a chance to watch it.

Narration of the story is unique. It, along with the background score, kept the movie going. I went with huge expectations, but it turned out for me as just another movie with the treatment not even as good as what I have seen in few movies made in India by Indians. (Salam Bombay, Parzania, A Wednesday etc)

The backdrop set in Mumbai is something, I think, that made it a sellout in the US. Like what Mr. Bachchan said, the movie exposes the underbelly of India with prime focus on the flip side of India. Now, I would not, now, say that it was wrong portrayal (Communal violence, poverty, slums, prostitution, underworld ... who can challenge that these are not integral part of the way India is?). Camera was quite disappointing with most shots taken as close-up and I found it very difficult to keep my eyes on the screen. I am not sure if anyone else felt the same way.

A.R Rahman has done fabulous job and I really hope that he wins atleast in one of his nominations for Oscar. Without the music, the movie would not have it's charm. Same is the case with Gulzar and Rasool Pookutty. The movie is a one time watch and I am surprised by the overwhelming response for the movie from all corners.

I, as an Indian, hope that AR Rahman, Gulzar and Rasool win in their respective categories so that, we get a chance to project our creative and technical talent to the outside world and get noticed. Not by the way India is portrayed in the movie ...

The movie has to be taken as a reflection of how we are and what's going on and use it to work on fixing the issues ... We have enough to handle before we point finger at others ...

(Do you think, the way India is portrayed in SM, would change the perception of foreigners about India and Indians?)

One good thing is that India slum dogs are now getting respect and love never seen before.

0 comments: