Monday, June 29, 2009

Mayawati Case: Show Us The Power Of Judiciary ...

After a PIL was filed against Mayawati asking for a probe on crores of public money spent on statues of herself and Kanshi Ram, Ms. Mayawati came out with a statement that:

Memorials, parks and statues dedicated to eminent persons served as “lighthouse,” which provided inspiration to society for centuries

My eyes are still stuck at the word "eminent". This is way beyond narcissism. After reading this quote, my wife said - "Yeah! Inspiration to throw chappals".

I followed the story a bit and then I ran into a statement that she made in April:
"In his will, Kanshiramji stated that as 'Mayawati is my true follower, her statues shall also be installed', ...

Following Kanshiramji's will, my statues have been installed next to those of him at Bahujan Prerna Kendra in Lucknow and New Delhi, where his ashes are kept," ...

Quoting Kanshiram, Mayawati said memorials and statues of a person should be installed while he or she is alive. "That's why my statues have been installed in Lucknow and New Delhi,"

The concept of setting up a memorial for a person who is alive beats me ... that too by a person who was a teacher by profession before getting into active politics.

Now that SC has asked for explanation on the use of public money for statues, I really want to know what judiciary is going to do about this.

If it is about taking the statues down, just don't bother because the money is gone.
If it is about recovering the money that was spent on "inspirational" activities, then show us how.

0 comments: