Friday, June 26, 2009

My Introduction To English Music

It started with my visit to my cousins place in 1992 when he was playing some songs with catchy beats. I had never heard those kind of beats ever before. The vocals started and I found it ok, mostly because I could not understand crap of what was being sung. Considering that I was used to Balarama (Malayam version) and Poombatta, it was hard for me to understand anything that was non-indian accent.

I pumped the volume up a bit and my parents came running. My father said, "What kind of music is this? This guy is singing with boiling water in his mouth ...". I lowered the volume and continued listening to the album and it kept me glued to my seat with the peppy beats.

I checked the cassette cover, it said "Thriller" by Micheal Jackson. I still can't believe that I heard the album 10 years after it was released. Thriller was the first English song I listened and my introduction to English music.

Today, the world woke up the news that MJ passed away. May his soul rest in peace ...

0 comments: