Saturday, May 10, 2008

Break from work - for 6 hours

Finally I got proper break from work yesterday. It was for around 6 hours.

The whole project team had an outing and quite a few guys showed up. As usual there were people who chickened out. I do not know when they will understand what professionalism is and how important is it for them to communicate about their absense early. I do not know when they will understand how to gel into a team and not act like demotivated, selfish morons.

Ok. Let me tell the good part of things.

So ... the trip was to Pragati resorts, around 40 kms from office. Scorching heat ... normal bus.

Summer heat was taking it's toll on the guys. No one is used to the heat. Software engineers, being locked in air-conditioned environment, never get to feel the Hyderabad heat. But, now the work around is also simple. Before we reached the resorts, guys gulped around 20 bottles of beer.

It just set the tempo and was exciting to see guys acting like live wires, who otherwise would be sitting in the corner of a project floor and you wouldn't even know when they left office.

There were couple of smarts kids who organized some interesting games. I really had to turn myself into something to that I was not. Making noise and getting guys to be involved in each and every activity. (I am not known for being social AT ALL)

And then came the best part ... DJ
I am the worst dancer in the world ... And I would say that robots are better than me in dancing ...
But 2-3 beers down, it was fun dancing to trance, hip-hop, pop, and the native telugu percussion in less than 5 mins.

I was sweating like a pig ... but it was great fun ...
Away from work ... no conference calls setup ... no official calls coming in ... lots of booze ... team enjoying the time off from work ...

What could be better ? ...

But it was again another day when I reached home after 12 in the night !

0 comments: