Thursday, May 15, 2008

Stay in the line man !

I do not know what's it with Indians and conveniently evading a queue.

No ... It is not just the illiterate guys, it's the 'educated' bunch also.

Simplest of examples is the canteen in my office. I work for one the leading consulting firms in the world, and we are known to hire "real" professionals. When it comes to buying coupons to get meals, instead of standing in a, it is just chaos at the counter.

People, who try to maintain a queue look like idiots (me !!) and couple of times, few guys had to bear the wrath from me.

What I fail to understand is why it is so difficult to have some basic discipline? From my experience, I have seen this only in India. I have been US, Thailand and UK but never saw this kind of disrespect.

Here is one conversation that my friend Karthik had at our canteen. There were few guys who were just barging in when there were 10 other guys waiting to get the coupons.

Karthik: Hey, dude ... there is a 'Q' here ! would you mind standing in the 'Q'?
XYZ (updated to XYZ after comment from my wife): Oh! there was a 'Q', I thought it was 'P'
Karthik: THAT is not funny !

I am still surprised, why Karthik did not slam that guy's head on to the plate of biriyani kept there.

Women are even better. They want equality and then 'reservation' also. Sonia Gandhi is trying hard. Now, you go to any place in India, you will see separate line for women. OK, I understand to an extent because the way a queue is formed in India is usually a 'warm' experience. The idea is not leave even tiniest of space between you and the person in front. It can be quite a warming experience when the soaring heat touches 42ÂșC.

But women usually consider it as a privilege.

Last day, this girl happened to bypass a long queue I was standing in and directly went to the canteen counter. I was again the same irritating, pissed off, over reactive self, requested her to stand in the queue. "Queue??? I did not know there was a queue ...", she reacted. Stared me down as if I was from interiors of the Amazon jungle.

(This is just my observation and does not apply to ALL the women out there)

I do my part in setting things right, but I go down as one of those guys who try and then get 'advise' from people that, "You cannot repair the system. It's all screwed. You will just raise your BP, with no result. Everything will stay as is ... ".

I will still do what I can.

0 comments: